What is coworking in simple words
In simple words, coworking is a space where everyone can find a temporary or permanent place to work. Co-working was coined in America in 2005 by the programmer Brad Newberg. One of the tasks of this organization of labor was to solve the problem of isolating people involved in freelancing.
Now coworking is understood as a physical place to work, and a form of interaction between representatives of various professions. Most often, their essence is simple: this is a community of young, independent people who are free from office work, who gather for business and friendly communication, as well as the organization of the work process. In such associations, it is easy to meet programmers, designers, marketers, remote work managers, smm-specialists, journalists who work side by side on their tasks, and sometimes as part of the same project. In modern coworking, there are organized work areas, Internet access, meeting rooms, as well as relaxation areas.
Types of coworking
The prototypes of coworking were community centers for entrepreneurs, as well as hackers that appeared in America and Germany in the mid-90s as spaces for communication between people with similar interests.
1. General division of coworking into highly specialized (only for programmers) or general (representatives of different professions).
2. Simple offices where jobs are rented.
3. Creative workshops in which artisans work. They are used most often for the creation and sale of products, as well as for the organization of master classes and training for everyone.
4. Children's centers organized for the development of children. They teach music, dancing, drawing, develop skills and abilities. Coworking for teachers and educators.
5. Anticafe. These are the so-called social coworking. Most often they gather here for a nominal fee for communication, spending time at board games, but can also be used for work or negotiations.
Benefits and limitations of coworking
Of course, such a form of labor organization as coworking has a number of strengths and limitations. Consider the pros and cons of a new form of workspace.
1. First of all, I will single out a relatively low price compared to renting an office. If you work alone, it becomes difficult to find a small office, and the price of renting it will be much higher than the fees for co-work.
2. Good technical equipment of the space. Most often, coworking houses all the necessary equipment for work. In addition, most centers include Internet charges.
3. The possibility of development and training. Coworking is not only a place of work, but also a venue for various seminars, workshops, presentations and other events. All this is free (for a nominal fee) for residents and helps to pump skills necessary for work or to develop in a hobby.
4. Communication, networking and partnerships based on coworking. New business contacts and acquaintances, customer exchange and recommendations are good additional bonuses for users of coworking sites.
5. The ability to specify the center address as your address, which will increase the status of the company and help to become more visible in search engines.
1. You need to carefully study the package of services that you receive. Sometimes rent includes hidden fees and fines, which can be even more expensive than renting your own office.
2. Loud neighbors in the workspace, whose conversations will distract and interfere with focus. The presence of other visitors (if it is a full open-space, there is no separate zone for negotiations, there is no venue for master classes).
3. Sometimes there is no way to secure a workplace, which is also inconvenient.
4. Coworking is always a space where you need to be attentive to personal things. Even left-luggage offices (which are not found in all coworkings) do not save from unexpected losses.
Who needs coworking?
Coworking remains relevant for people who work remotely or on freelance. For them, this is a great opportunity to communicate, feel part of a large team with their own traditions and corporate chips.
And also such spaces are in demand among novice entrepreneurs and startups. They get the opportunity to rent jobs at an affordable price, flexibly adjust the cost of the office, the number of jobs, individual rental conditions.
Large companies often rent coworkings for seminars, events, conferences.
Employees who are on a business trip. Coworking gives them the opportunity to access the Internet and use the workplace.
How to save on coworking?
Coworking prices are formed due to various factors: the region, territorial location, technical equipment of the office, rental period (the longer the term, the cheaper the cost of a month). In addition, there is the concept of a fixed or dynamic place. A dynamic place, which implies that a person occupies any free space, is the cheapest. Separate meeting rooms and meeting rooms will cost more.
Thus, by creating conditions and a rental package for your needs (not including excess) you can save a lot of money.
What to take with you to coworking?
Most often, coworking is the most equipped place to work. Therefore, most have a personal laptop, phone and notepad. For specific activities, additional equipment may be required, which is discussed with the administrator.